Preventing a home pest invasion…
With the fall comes colder weather and with that colder weather, pests such as rodents, spiders, and cockroaches look for a warmer place to find refuge. Rodents carry diseases and can cause structural damage to a home by chewing through wires, causing house fires. They can also nest in the insulation. Cockroaches also spread diseases and their droppings and saliva can trigger asthma attacks, especially in young children. Spiders sometimes bite and their venom can be dangerous to those that have allergic reactions. For these reasons, you don’t want to have these critters in your home.
Here are some tips for homeowners to prevent them from getting into your home and wreaking havoc.
- Use door sweeps on exterior doors and make sure all damaged screens with holes are repaired.
- Cover any vents and chimney openings with screens.
- Make sure all food is stored in airtight containers and get rid of all garbage on a regular basis in sealed receptacles.
- Replace any loose mortar and weather stripping around the foundation in the basement and windows.
- Get rid of all moisture sites, especially any leaking pipes or clogged drains.
- Keep your firewood storage at least twenty feet away from the house and keep all of your shrubbery trimmed. Mice and spiders love to hide in a pile of wood.
- If you suspect you have some pests as visitors, make sure to call a licensed professional to inspect the situation and treat the problem.
The key is to make it hard for these pests to find a way into your house when the weather gets cold. Taking a little extra time in the fall can save you major headaches later. If they do get inside of your home, don’t wait too long to bring in a professional to help.
This blog is brought to you by Green Army Eco Friendly Pest and Termite Control Team! Call 1.888.537.4555 for a free home Eco Friendly Pest Control estimate!