Termites Eat Dead Wood. That means, they may confuse your home as their next free buffet.
Are you inviting termites for dinner? Dead wood is the target meal for Termites, especially moist wood, so to avoid treatment, you may want to do the following:
- Ensure you do not have plumbing leaks.
- Install gutters to divert rain water away from the foundation. Ensure your gutters are not clogged and that the gutters do not outflow water to an areas close to your foundation.
- Sprinklers should be directed away from the house as well.
- If water continually pools next to the foundation wall, you may need to re-grade the soil so that water flows away from the foundation or you may have to look at a french drain or similar fix.
- The roof of your home is important as well and you should ensure you do not have any leaks.
- Repair or replace siding and flashing that is damaged on your roof areas.
- Do not store lumber, fire wood or other wooden scrap next to your home.
- Do not use an excessive amount of mulch or pine straw around the foundation of your home.
- Bushes and trees should be trimmed back and kept away from the home structure.
- The crawl space in your home should have adequate ventilation. You may want to have a handy man review and ensure it has proper ventilation.